This past semester, we introduced our first art class for younger ‘Picassos,’ ages 8-13. It was an immediate hit and we had to quickly add a second class. Students had a great time exploring different artists and mediums while creating their own works of art in an encouraging setting.
“Picassos” is a 12 week class introducing the young artist to difficult concepts in a simple way. Many art mediums are taught at the introductory level for kids to be able to understand and implement. This semester we will focus on a study of famous artists and their style. We will work to recreate that style in our own unique way. Students from last semester will enjoy a more in-depth study of artists they have already covered, while learning about several more.
The following artists will be studied.
- Claude Monet – impressionism- pastels (landscapes)
- Edgar Degas- realism- chalk (people)
- Michaelangelo Buonarroti Simoni- italian renaissance sculpture (clay)
- Gary Larson – Cartooning – drawing
- George Serat- pointilism – drawing
- Vincent Van Gogh – post impressionist – oil paint
- Georgia O’Keefe – watercolor – modern
- Grant Wood – American gothic – pencil drawing
- Jackson Pollock – abstract impression “drip paintings”
- Hannah Hoch- Collages with newspaper clippings
This class is taught by Jen Wilson. Jen is an interior designer by trade, and studied interior design and residential space planning at the Art Institute of America. She enjoys drawing and painting, prop making, set design, and sewing and has been the set designer for “Mary Poppins” and “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” as well as “White Christmas” at AWIP. She has also assisted with costumes and props in past productions.
Jen’s second passion is children and she also studied Early childhood education at Gordon College and Endicott College. She has been a preschool teacher and has taught many homeschool co-op classes in her 9 years of homeschooling. She is very excited to continue leading the set and prop classes behind the scenes, as well as teaching art classes at AWIP.
For more information about the class (location, price, schedule), click here!
As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us!
#learngrowshine and Happy New Year!
Jen Roca for all of us at AWIP